Security risks to your business that require your attention
In contemporary society, security is constantly at risk in ways that most people don’t even realize. It is important to guard against these security threats or you will eventually see the consequences. As global counterespionage specialists, the experts at ComSec have seen it all. And for this reason, we have compiled a list of security risks that do not garner enough attention from people looking to protect their privacy. You see it all the time on the news- intelligence leaks and security breaches are everywhere. Thinking it won’t happen to you? Think again. Take a look at this list and honestly ask yourself: are you taking enough precautions to protect you privacy?
Top 5 Overlooked Risks to Your Security
- Technology- Technology advancements have been abundant in recent years and show no signs of slowing down. It is important to stay vigilant and keep up with the latest advancements in technology that you need to protect yourself from. The development of software and apps increase the ease with which your private information can be stolen and exploited is something that all individuals need to consider when handling delicate information. There are apps now that allow you to secretly record police stops and take discreet videos. The creation of this technology is at heart to allow people to protect themselves, but the negative threats to security that this technology presents cannot be ignored. The recent development of Google Glass, the glasses that allow you to record video, take pictures and share these things instantly on the internet also presents a new risk. It is technology such as this that will present problems for businesses and individuals with classified information.
- Insider Threats- It is important to have a bond of trust with employees, co-workers, and others that may be close to you. However, failing to guard against potential threats these individuals are capable of is a mistake. The Mitch McConnell scandal is a recent example of how espionage can personally impact an individual. A recording of McConnell discussing tactics to take on opposing candidate, Ashley Judd, was leaked this year by one of his team members and caused quite a stir amongst the public. Recorded discussing how he planned to utilize Judd’s history of depression to derail her campaign, this brought a large amount of backlash to the republican senator. Leaks such as this one can be detrimental to a career, and negatively impact one’s personal life. The McConnell scandal, however, could have been avoided through diligence and unwavering commitment to security. Awareness of potential threats is vital to securing yourself against unforeseen risks and guarding against scandals such as this one.
- Cyber threats- The internet is such an important element of daily life, and yet presents some of the greatest risks as far as security goes. Hacker culture has developed into something that most people cannot even fathom. Information that you put out on the Internet is constantly at risk to be taken by people that understand how to bypass Internet security and firewalls with ease. Voicemails, videos, and documents can be obtained by the wrong people if you do not have the proper defenses. A recent example that shows the power of hacking is the Steubenville rape scandal. In this recent terrible event, a group of boys on the Steubenville football team were accused of raping an incapacitated teenage girl several times. The plot thickened when it was suspected that there may be a level of cover-up involved in this case. There was scant evidence for these claims, until an anonymous hacker released information pertaining to the case. Tweets, voicemails, pictures and even a video were uncovered by these hackers that implicated numerous individuals. Legally, this leaked information can only be utilized to a certain extent. Personally, however, the individuals involved have been targeted by the disgusted public. Their lives have been thrown off indefinitely and have provided a permanent stigma that will follow them for the rest of their lives. This case shows the ability of hackers to retrieve information you never would have suspected was at risk.
- Physical Threats- Physical threats are too often overlooked. An air vent, a crack in the door, or even something as simple as thin walls can allow for eavesdropping. Cyber security is something that people hold in such high esteem (and rightfully so!), but not enough consideration is given to the safety of your intelligence before it is made digital. Corporate espionage costs corporations billions of dollars each year, and you would be shocked at how much of this takes place in the physical realm. You need to be aware of these risks and protect yourself from prying eyes and ears. The overwhelming prevalence of cell phones provides a significant risk. Cell phones have become such a commonplace object that they are often overlooked as security risks. Do not make this error, and be certain that you are protected.
- Outsider Threats- Whether you are a high net worth individual or a small business owner, you should be aware of potential outside threats. Whether it be a competitor, a state-sponsored threat, or an individual with unsavory motives, there are a plethora of people that could utilize your sensitive information to impact your life in a negative manner. It is necessary to understand this and guard against these forces as they may resort to espionage to get a leg up on you. Bugging is something that occurs much more often than you would think, making counter surveillance an integral part of running a business.
Security is more complicated than it used to be, and if you’re hoping to maintain it you need to take the appropriate measures and identify these threats. That’s where we can help you. ComSec offers an array of counterespionage services to help you identify and defend yourself against threats that you never would have thought to worry about. We hunt spies globally from a corporate standpoint, helping you to detect electronic eavesdropping attempts, hacking attempts, listening devices and cyber risks. Counter espionage is a necessary element of life, and the sooner you recognize that undeniable fact, the sooner you will be properly protected.
To learn more, contact ComSec we can help. ~ JDL
* Cyber TSCM ™ is a trade mark of ComSec LLC
© 2015 ComSec LLC. All rights reserved.